Thursday, December 1, 2011

On The Nightstand

For a reading addict, it's a bit dangerous working in the library.  I read book review magazines to find out the latest and greatest, I talk with coworkers about books and then folks coming in to the library gush about the wonderful book they just read and I "must" read it too, and let's not forget about the serendipity of walking in the shelves when a book cover catches your eye.  Which is why I have over 1500  books on my to-read bookshelf on Goodreads.  Of course, many of those books I actually check out with plans to read and then they are on my nightstand just waiting for the right moment.  Below is a random sampling from the nightstand:

The Voodoo Wave by Mark Kreidler and Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad - it's impossible for me to pass by a new surfing book.  I'll never surf myself, but I love to watch and read about it whenever I can.

Food Rules by Michael Pollan with illustrations by Maira Kalman.  I love all of Maira Kalman's children's books - her illustrations and text are quirky and she has a very distinctive style - you might recognize her drawings from The New Yorker as well.  Lately she has taken to illustrating some serious adult nonfiction, which frankly can often use a little bit of quirk to liven things up. 

I love to read first novels - there's so much promise when you find a new author that you enjoy.  Still Missing by Chevy Stevens received reviews with words like "blistering," "knockout," "doesn't read like a first novel" so I can't wait to read this psychological thriller about a kidnap victim from abduction through escape.

There are more books on my nightstand, but I'll end with this one: You're a Horrible Person But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice written by a bunch of hip, hot comedians who have no business giving anybody advice.  As one review indicates, there's a high level of snark written in these answers.  And sometimes even the nicest librarian enjoys a bit of snark now and then.

What's on your nightstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.