Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ender's Game

Have you ever gone back and read something you loved as a younger person, only to find that your memory of it was much better than the real thing? Well, I recently reread one of my all-time favorite books out of sheer curiosity, and I thought it was just as great as the first time I read it, back in the mid-80s. I actually might like it more now!

That book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is a science fiction novel that appeals to both teens and adults and it is awesome. The book is about a very young boy named Andrew Wiggin ("Ender") who is taken from his family and sent off to a school out in space.
The school is training possible future commanders of the international fleet that protects Earth and it is that fleet that will fight the "Buggers" in an anticipated third war. The Buggers are an insect-like intelligent species that tried to colonize Earth earlier and fortunately failed. Ender is a brilliant boy, and is found to be particularly brilliant when it comes to the tactics necessary to fight the Buggers. However, Ender's life is also lonely and harsh and he struggles with some of things he has done in the past and still has to do to survive.

The book has a twist toward the end that really surprised me when I first read it and still impressed me the second time around. Even if you don't normally read science fiction, give this a try. It is dramatic, thought provoking and still really great 27 years later.

- Betsey S.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally! I must have read this book for the first time in high school for a summer reading list. I have now been reading it at least 3 times a year...and I'm now in my 30's! Everytime I read it I feel like I enjoy it more! I really hope the movie (coming out next year) does the book justice. Thank you for blogging about this book, hopefully more children will read it and love it as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good one, certainly. A friend had me read it in high school. Well written as I recall. Good to know it is at least that excellent still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten about the movie! Thanks for the reminder, Stacey. Always interesting to see what they'll do in transposing it to the silver screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this with "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Witch of Blackbird Pond". As I get older I identify with different characters in the books so it becomes like reading a totally different book. As a child I thought it was obvious that of course Atticus would fight the good fight. As an adult with children of my own I realize what kind of courage that takes. It tends to make them fresh all over again. Plus it takes you back to the time you read them in the beginning and reminds you of how much you've changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I read the Chronicles of Narnia as a kid and then again in college. A very different experience. And now I think I should read "To Kill a Mockingbird" again! Thanks for your comments!

      Delete

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.